EXTENDED: Communication Specialist Intern for the We CU Community Engaged Scholars
The We CU Community Engaged Scholars program partners with local organizations to promote positive change in our community and create impactful learning experiences for students. Launched in Spring 2020, We CU’s first challenge was to respond to community needs during COVID-19. We CU empowers students to make a positive impact in the community while building their resumes and enriching their university experience. We CU honors students for their community-based work and provides them with training, connection to like-minded peers, access to service opportunities, and support from We CU program leaders. We CU invites students to critically reflect on their service experience to deepen their understanding of service and their roles as members of dynamic and complex communities. We seek applicants who approach their work with a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The Communication Specialist helps develop and implement high-impact communication strategies and vehicles to promote engagement with faculty, students, administrators and community stakeholders. This position works closely with We CU’s co-directors, graduate student team, and the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Institute’s (IHSI) communication team to develop a comprehensive communication plan and manage activities that promote We CU and its core values. The communications specialist is responsible for telling stories to communicate the impact that We CU has on campus and throughout our local community, and for creating and developing content for the website, social media, events, e-newsletters and other projects. This position is also responsible for building, coordinating, and tracking a robust social media presence.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
- Implement content strategy across multiple channels to develop awareness, generate inbound traffic, and increase student participation in We CU
- Manage social media strategy development and implementation, including writing, scheduling and publishing posts
- Write stories and profiles about We CU students, projects, activities and partnerships
- Work with the IHSI and We CU teams to update the website with relevant events, resources, and news
- In collaboration with IHSI and We CU’s teams, define, collect and review communication metrics. Track metrics for social media, email, and other efforts
- Conduct research into communication opportunities for We CU
- Ensure compliance with University communication policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
In addition to the job responsibilities described above, the communication specialist is responsible for the following essential job functions:
- Demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills
- Working productively in a remote team setting
- Being able to think quickly and act appropriately in time-sensitive situations
- Functioning under deadlines
- Creating an environment for transparency and trust
- Ownership and accountability
Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at the University of Illinois. Preference for degrees in Advertising, English, Communication, Public Relations, or Marketing.
Experience managing social media for an organization is required. Experience with graphic design and editing website content is a plus.
PC skills, Windows environment. Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Interpersonal and human relations skills
- Independent writing skills and ability to develop clear, concise and key message-focused communication materials
- Ability to function as part of a team when drafting materials and problem solving
- Organizational skills, to include multi-tasking and time management
- Requires minimal supervision; independent thinker