Plant Protection and Quarantine Officer (Plant Health Safeguarding Specialist) - Miami and Sanford, FL
Hello and thanks for your interest in a career with USDA APHIS PPQ!
Please note this is an Outreach Notice to make you aware of a Plant Health Safeguarding Specialist Position in Miami and Sanford, FL Please apply through USA Jobs (link provided within announcement).
Eligible for medical benefits, retirement, thrift savings plan, Paid Vacation, Sick Time, Holiday Leave and more!
The vacancy announcement is open until January 27th
$44,740 - $61,962 per year
If selected you will serve in a vital role to safeguard U.S. agriculture and natural resources in coordination with state officials, other agencies, industry, and colleges, as a federal liaison for plant quarantine programs. The primary work includes import exclusion, complex treatments, export activities, permitting and compliance, as well as pest detection.
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Duties are performed at Plant Inspection Stations, International Ports of Entry, and other geographical areas within the United States.
- Provide specialized inspection, regulation and clearance of propagative plant material, plant products and pest diagnostic identification services at plant inspection stations and other facilities.
- Interpret and enforce Federal and State domestic quarantines and regulatory orders restricting the inter/intra-state movement of plants, plant products, animal byproduct and other materials.
- Plan, conduct, and/or supervise various treatments such as disinfection, sterilization, fumigation, cold treatment, hot water treatment, irradiation for plant and animal pests and diseases.
- Manage multiple program areas such as: post entry quarantine, biological control, gypsy moth, grasshopper/cricket, noxious weeds, boll weevil, or other pests.
- Review permits, conduct inspections, prepare and execute compliance agreements, enforce policies regarding quarantine, and identify inspection sites.
- Serve as accredited certifying officials regarding export certification for trade facilitation.
- Track the progress and submit reports regarding program operations in specific geographical area assigned.
I wish you the best in all your career pursuits! Please reach out to me with any recruiting questions.
USDA APHIS PPQ
Outreach and Recruitment
Call/ Text: 518-420-9779
APHIS Career Page: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/banner/careers
Plant Protection Today Newsletter: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/ppq-program-overview/plant-protection-today/plant-protection-today