The Graduate Intern supports the Planning Division of the Department of City Development (DCD) by carrying out a variety of research, analysis, and community engagement tasks related to land use, urban design, zoning, and neighborhood planning and engagement.
Graduate Interns work approximately 20 hours per week and cannot exceed 1,040 hours per year while enrolled in a graduate program from an accredited college or university.
Urban Planning Research and Analysis
- Carry out data analysis and/or geographic information system (GIS) mapping to support planning projects.
- Conduct research and analysis and prepare reports on topics such as land use, zoning changes, neighborhood and economic development, zoning codes, and urban design to support development of neighborhood plans and/or zoning and development review.
- Prepare materials for public meetings and Plan Commission hearings, including PowerPoint presentations, staff reports, referral letters, and outreach materials.
- Assist Planning Staff at public meetings and City Plan Commission meetings, including supporting neighborhood engagement efforts and note-taking.
- Assist Planning Staff with the review of Board of Zoning Appeals cases.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Please be advised that new employees are required to have received either both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine prior to their employment start date or have an approved religious or medical accommodation prior to their employment start date. You can find further information relative to the City’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy here.
1. Current enrollment in a master’s degree or PhD program in urban planning, architecture, geography, urban studies, public administration, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Enrollment must be maintained throughout employment as a Graduate Intern.
2. Eligible candidates must have at least one academic semester remaining prior to anticipated graduation date.
The current pay rate (Pay Range 9PN) is $15.30 per hour, and the resident incentive pay rate for City of Milwaukee residents is $15.76 per hour.
- Applications and further information can be accessed by visiting http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.