Plant Protection Technician - Amityville, NY and Worcester, MA (Asian Longhorned Beetle Eradication Program)
Hello and thanks for your interest in a career with USDA APHIS PPQ!
Please note this is an Outreach Notice to make you aware of several Plant Protection and Quarantine Technician Positions! There are 4 in Worcester, Massachusetts and 1 Amityville, NY. Please apply through USA Jobs (link provided within announcement).
This is a full time term appointment not to exceed 13 months. (Appointment may be extended up to 4 years without reannouncing). For more details click: Term Appointments Term positions like this may include medical benefits, retirement, thrift savings plan, Paid Vacation, Sick Time, Holiday Leave and more!
$50,089 - $65,110 per year (not including any overtime opportunities)
The vacancy announcement is open until midnight on May 27th.
If selected you will serve in a vital role to safeguard U.S. agriculture and natural resources in coordination with state officials, other agencies, industry, and colleges, as a federal liaison for plant quarantine programs. The primary work includes import exclusion, complex treatments, export activities, permitting and compliance, as well as pest detection.
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Duties are performed at Plant Inspection Stations, International Ports of Entry, and other geographical areas within the United States.
- Provide specialized inspection, regulation and clearance of propagative plant material, plant products and pest diagnostic identification services at plant inspection stations and other facilities.
- Interpret and enforce Federal and State domestic quarantines and regulatory orders restricting the inter/intra-state movement of plants, plant products, animal byproduct and other materials.
- Plan, conduct, and/or supervise various treatments such as disinfection, sterilization, fumigation, cold treatment, hot water treatment, irradiation for plant and animal pests and diseases.
- Manage multiple program areas such as: post entry quarantine, biological control, gypsy moth, grasshopper/cricket, noxious weeds, boll weevil, or other pests.
- Review permits, conduct inspections, prepare and execute compliance agreements, enforce policies regarding quarantine, and identify inspection sites.
- Serve as accredited certifying officials regarding export certification for trade facilitation.
- Track the progress and submit reports regarding program operations in specific geographical area assigned.
I wish you the best in all your career pursuits! Please reach out to me with any recruiting questions.
USDA APHIS PPQ
Outreach and Recruitment
Call/ Text: 518-420-9779
APHIS Career Page: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/banner/careers
Plant Protection Today Newsletter: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/ppq-program-overview/plant-protection-today/plant-protection-today